Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wrapping Up the First Semester

I am closing in on the end of my first semester here at Poly High School.  Things have gone relatively smoothly.  The long drive still wears on me, and by the end of the week, I am still exhausted, and as gas goes up in price, it is becoming more and more expensive to drive to work each week.  With all of that said, I am still so blessed to have found a place here at Poly. 

We are wrapping up AP Government and beginning to look ahead to starting AP Macro for the first time.  It should be an interesting experience to say the least.  One thing that I am always amazed at, whether it was my first year teaching, or this year (which for those wondering, is my fourth), are the connections I make to the students.  I think it is fascinating how at the beginning of the year, the 150+ students I have go from simply being names on a roster, me having no clue of anything about their "story", to so much more.  While I wish I could honestly say that I will never forget a student, I can honestly say that I will never forget my "students". 

People have asked me why I teach.  I often feel when that question is asked that there is some sort of negative connotation that they attach to the profession of teaching.  I even have had some students ask "Why do you teach, when you could have done ...".  I think what most people miss, is that they view teaching as simply a 8:00-3:00 job.  Almost one where you work in isolation, and that students are the "customers" that you have to deal with every day.  I absolutely love my job, and I love my students.  I see my role more as someone who works with my students.  I try to guide them more than just pour knowledge into their heads.  Plus, teaching to me is no 8-3 job.  You are becoming a part of a high schoolers life.  In my case, with having all seniors, there is no more critical time in their high school careers.  I love being able to discuss future plans, helping them think through the process for themselves, and helping them see options they may have not thought about.  It is a fascinating time, because you can see a change mid-year in that you can tell they are realizing for the first time that an "end" to the life they are familiar with and a new "beginning" is on the horizon.

As we wrap up the first semester, this becomes all too clear for many of the students I have had the privilege to teach.  I am looking forward to the second semester, and seeing my current students off into their new "beginnings" hopefully, as best prepared as they can be.  It is a daunting task and responsibility.  One that I love being a part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment