Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Day

One of the things that I think we often do on days like today, if forget exactly why it is that we have the day off.  From a historical sense, Martin Luther King Jr. is just one of the transcending figures.  Someone who defined the time, and did not let the time define him.  Hearing some of his most famous speeches still gives me chills.  I really believe it is one of those things that even hearing it, you cannot appreciate just how moving it was to be there and hear him speak in person.  I believe this is similar with any transcendent figure or time of crisis. 

I'll leave you with arguably his best known speech, and two of my favorite quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
"I Have a Dream Speech"



"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

--Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think all Christians need to take these words to heart.  What is going on in out world today, both locally and globally?  What tragedy are we allowing to happen as we silently stand by?  What evil are we cooperating with because we do not speak out against it?  I challenge you to constantly take King's words to heart, and more importantly, find your passion and your mission, and when you do, get involved and make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment