Friday, January 14, 2011

One of the Greatest Men I've Ever Known

Tom Brokaw called them the "Greatest Generation".  I just called him Papa.  Grandparents always hold a special place in our hearts and I was truly blessed to have four wonderful ones.  My Papa was a great man.  There are so many stories I could tell of how I will remember him. 

From having popsicles stocked in the freezer non-stop for all of us grandkids to passing out packets of Teddy Grahams that he got from the Wilkinson Center, my Papa was a very giving man.  He would do about anything for us grandkids.  I loved sitting and listening to his stories.  He was a paratrooper in World War II and was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his service.  I've always wanted to skydive, just so I could experience the same feeling that he did, minus of course, the getting shot at while you float down.  He never did speak a lot about what happened in World War II, but the little that he did open up about, I knew he experienced much more than I can ever imagine. 

He also was a great father and husband. Papa and Mema set an amazing Godly example of what a marriage and family should be like.  I'll never forget when my grandmother died.  Papa stayed by her bed at the hospice house day in and day out.  The staff took good care of him during that time, bringing him meals (even though they weren't suppose to) and checking on him almost as much as her.  In a way, I think it is fitting that Papa passed away at the same hospice facility. 

Papa lived a full life. He served his country as a soldier.  He worked for the U.S. Postal Service.  He was married for over 50 years and had three children.  He was a grandfather and a great-grandfather.   He was kind and loving.  He was funny and always had a joke and would try to make you laugh.  

Tonight, my Papa is having a reunion.  He has been reunited with his beloved wife.  He has been reunited with many members of his family.  He has been reunited with his fallen comrades, who served with him defending this country on the battlefields of France. 

Papa, you will always be my hero, and I hope that I can become half the man that you were.

Rest in peace, J.T. Brown and enjoy the celebration.  Oh, and I bet he is passing out those packets of Teddy Grahams to any angel that passes...

No comments:

Post a Comment