Saturday, January 22, 2011

Internship

“Ask and you shall receive.” A few weeks ago I posted an update chronicling 2010 reflections. In the post I mentioned how nice it has been to have a break from ministry, teaching, and church responsibilities; however, toward the end of the post I stated, “This year, let’s hope he [God] has plans for me to find a ministry/teaching position and get back to doing what I love; but, I’m grateful for the rest, vacation, and time for reflection.”

In recent weeks God has been hard at work! While I have been reading, researching, and working on my literature review God has been orchestrating an internship for me. After meeting with my new advisor last month I was informed that I should try to organize an internship for earlier in my program than I was previously advised . . . I was planning to do my internship at the end of the program (as suggested by the program director); however, my new advisor said she thinks that is a crazy idea with all the requirements that come in the last semester of course work looking forward to the candidacy process and dissertation proposal.

So, as advised I talked with another professor and emailed all of the people suggested. In the end, an undergraduate professor is teaching a Youth Ministry course this Spring---and I’m going to help! I’m excited about the opportunity but I’m also terrified. I’ve never taught college students. Teaching middle school=no big deal---teaching college students=big deal! What I say can affect the future of their lives, ministries, and all the kids they will teach. (Don’t hear me wrong---teaching middle school is important and teachers affect the lives of middle schoolers, but it’s a different level. Middle school kids will have a lot more teachers to straighten out all the wrong stuff you tell them before they hit the streets and start making adult decisions).

On Monday January 31, 2011 I will be walking into the classroom of a college level course to co-teach students how to be effective youth ministers! I ask that you pray for me, the students, and the poor professor that agreed to this madness! We will be in class every Monday night from 4:30-6:30 from January through the end of May! I’ll let you know how it goes!

--Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment