Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reflections on 2010 (from Megan)

2010 . . . It was filled with joy, sorrow, excitement, stress, uncertainty, and, as usual, God shaking up my plans! As I flipped back over our calendar, like I do at the end of every year, transferring birthdays, anniversaries, and special dates to remember to our new calendar (I got for $.99 at the BIG 99, I might add) I noticed all the red ink spilled across my calendar pages from January to August! For those that don’t know me well, when my life is busy (ok, all the time) I color code my calendar. Typically, I have a color for church (red), a color for my school events (green), a color for the youth school events (yellow for Chesnee, purple for Gaffney), a color for birthdays and anniversaries (black), and a color for vacations or special family events (teal). As I reflected back on the months gone by I realized just how often I was at church, church events, church related functions, and school functions. I never realized just how severely the church ran my life. There were some months that lacked a single day without red, yellow, green, or purple ink!


Now, don’t get me wrong, I do not look back on the months gone by with regret or sorrow. I deeply treasure the moments spent at church events whether it was simply office time for study and preparation, chatting with George, Joyce, Mack, or other visitors, playing games with the youth/children, attending worship, leading bible study, decorating for an event, gorging myself at one of the church family dinners, attending a youth sporting event, texting students, or facebook chatting into the late house of the night because someone had a question, crisis, or just wanted to chat. However, I am also grateful for a new season in my life . . . A life of rest. Rest from the chaos of planning. Rest from the drama, responsibility, and crowd management. Rest from study focused on youth events, bible studies, and issues. Rest from the church calling the shots.

During my fall semester the required introductory course was comprised of five students total: Yvana, Agam, Beatrice, Jennifer, and me. During the semester, led by our professor, we took time to pray over one student each week. I’ll admit, this was a highly uncomfortable situation for me. I don’t like people in my personal space. I don’t like discussing personal information and prayer requests. And I am overall a rather introverted person. So the idea of five other people entering my personal space----possibly touching me----and praying for ME was, well, overwhelming. However, during the course of the prayer time Beatrice, very prophetically, prayed that God would help me enjoy this season he has brought me to, that I would treasure being alone in the comfort of his presence. Being with just Chris. Being away from family and friends. Understanding that it is a part of his plan. I think she was so right. God has brought me to this time and place. God had a plan to send me ~2,600 miles away from what I had grown to know. He shoved me outside of my routine. He sent me here. And while it has had its trying, challenging, frustrating, stressing, and lonely moments he sent Chris and Mo along with me!

So, in thinking about 2010, there are many memorable moments I could mention. I could talk about all the youth events: Winter Jam, Valentine Dinner, Lock-ins, Flower Sales, Ball Games, Camp, Mission Nights, and the Farewell Service; I could mention family events; I could reflect on my teaching experiences; I could talk about my “coaching” experience; I could think about how Chris and I house hunted, chose a house, and received an acceptance letter from Talbot--literally--the day before we wrote up an offer; I could talk about my sister’s college graduation; I could talk about all the weddings I had the privilege of attending and/or officiating; I could talk about a lot of things! But the thing that stands out the most is the decision to follow God, pack up my things, and move across the country in pursuit of God’s call with no prior plans or clear course of action---something I have never done so haphazardly.

In the end, God has proven to me that he is in control. He does have a plan. He did call me to come here. And even though I have had moments of wonder, frustration, irritation, loneliness, confusion, felt both encouraged and discouraged, and seen the “are you crazy” look more times than I can count, it has been worth it. God has provided every step of the way. I assume, as I leave 2010 behind and step into 2011 God will continue to provide, guide, and shock me. This year, let’s hope he has plans for me to find a ministry/teaching position and get back to doing what I love; but, I’m grateful for the rest, vacation, and time for reflection. Here’s to a new year, new adventures, new surprises, new knowledge, and new challenges. And here’s to the moments I have been blessed to experience. I will always remember the days when church ruled my schedule and I loved it! I will always remember the students that won my heart. And I will always have a place in my life for a group of teenagers (that will unfortunately grow up) and their precious families. In summation, 2010 was a year of change and surprises. In reflecting upon it, as we often do, I can see God’s careful hand planning each step and guiding me to the place where I currently stand. Perhaps, this year I will be more attentive and see the steps as he prepares them?

--Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment