Monday, January 24, 2011

Missing the Beta Life

One of the reasons I absolutely love being a teacher is all of the learning and growing that you get to witness.  As a high school teacher, it still is an amazing sight to see a student have their "ah-ha" moment or accomplish something individually or as a group.  One thing that I think is often neglected is that learning does not just happen in a classroom.  In fact, I believe that some of the best learning experiences occur after school, in the different sports and extracurriculars that are offered.

One thing that I still haven't been able to do is get involved with a club or sport at Poly.  I have been able to attend a lot of different games, but it is not the same as working with those kids day in and day out.  Recently, I've gone to a couple of girls' water polo matches and some soccer games.  However, this time of the year, I cannot help but think about those Beta days.  Countless hours of practices, making props, and preparing for those trips. 

I am still amazed by the talent that those kids displayed, and it always reminds me that all high schoolers have amazing talents, and one of our main jobs as teachers is helping kids find those talents, and develop them so they can have the confidence to display those talents to the world. 

I'll leave you with some examples of just how talented high schoolers can be. 

(A little background... the following videos are the group talents we did the last three years at Chesnee at the Beta Club conventions.  They are seven minute performances, and I think you'll see all the hard work that they put into the performance.  The Lion King performance and the Alice in Wonderland performance won at Nationals.)

The Lion King Group Talent 2008
National Champs

Alice in Wonderland Group Talent 2010
National Champs

The Little Mermaid Group Talent 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment