Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Different Kind of Education

Megan, Mr. & Mrs. Temple, and Emily at Kerri and Tim's wedding. 
Theresa Lynn DeBruhl Temple (pictured above). You may know her as Terri, Mrs. Temple, or one of the WPHS lunch ladies; however, I call her Moma. She is one of the most intelligent people I know. Here is a little of her story:


She was born the oldest, only daughter, of five children. Her parents divorced when she was in elementary school. She moved more times than I can accurately account. She endured her teenage years in less than desirable circumstances with an alcoholic stepfather. She met a tall red-headed bag boy at the local grocery store at age fifteen. A few years later she graduated high school and got married to that bag boy a few months later. She entered the work force and within five years, after my birth, filled the role of stay-at-home-mom. Obviously, I spent countless hours with her. She taught me how to say my ABC’s, write my name, recognize colors, and countless other things. She even read my favorite book, Martha’s House, so many times that I had it memorized by age three or four and she thought I could read it (yeah, I’ve been fooling people for years). As I reflect upon my mother I can rarely remember a time that she was not reading something. She loved to read and still does. Her love of reading, study, and the world has led to her vast knowledge base. While she has never set foot in a college classroom she knows more than many college graduates. Let me be clear: if I were going to be on a trivia based game show like, “Who Wants to be a Millionaire,” she would be at the top of my phone-a-friend list.

We are all on a specific path in life. Each path is distinctly different. Educationally speaking, God places each of us in a different place. Sure, we should all seek to be continual learners; however, for some people this does not mean additional formal education. Some are supposed to work right after high school, some are supposed to go to a trade/technical school, some are supposed to go to college, some are supposed to go on to graduate school, medical school, law school, or some other form of higher education, and some are supposed to be parents right away. In the end, the formal education story we have to tell is not as important as the educational journey we are on. Some of the most learned, wise, knowledgeable people I know have never taken a single class beyond high school! Education comes in many forms.

Lately, I have been reflecting on where my path has taken me. Many of my friends are done with school, have full-time jobs, have purchased homes, and have started families. Sometimes I wonder why my path is so different. I wonder if I am going in the right direction. And, sometimes (ok–often), I am a bit jealous of their lives.

This week in one of my classes the professor offered the following bit of his personal story for encouragement. He told us how he too, as a young graduate student, felt inferior to others around him with full-time teaching positions. However, he stressed not to worry. God has placed us on our particular paths. We have no need to complain, apologize, or doubt that which we cannot control. God has a plan. God will guide. As my professor encouraged: your path, as long as you are following the Lord in obedience, is the perfect path for you.

So, in light of my constant self-doubt and uncertainty I am reminded that God has a plan. My path is not exactly “traditional” or just how I imagined it would be—but it is mine. I am assured that the desires of my heart will be fulfilled in God’s good time. I will, one day, have a full-time job, my own home, and a family. For now, I am privileged to be a part of a Ph.D. program and have wonderful friends and family behind me as I “endure” this formal education process of my journey!

--Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment