Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Blogs Don't Work Without the Internet

**This is an entry from Megan that was suppose to be uploaded on Thursday, August 12th.  The absence of the Internet has delayed it until today...

Today marks nearly a week and a half since we began our cross-country trek; and nearly a week since we arrived in CA. Quite a bit has transpired since we first left SC . . . However, I am learning more and more as the days pass that some things seem to follow you no matter where you go . . . Allow me to explain.


Since the moment of my call experience there have been three distinct parties of people:

1. People that support, encourage, and walk with me in my calling.
2. People that have no interest in, whatsoever, or are indifferent to, the conversation centered on “being called.”
3. Those that seemed utterly shocked, awed, and amazed that a female could be called to ministry! (Gasp)!

Through the duration of our travels, and since my time here in CA, I have encountered all of the above. I must admit, at first, I was a bit shocked to find so many people, here in CA, that assumed Chris was the one going to school instead of me. After all, this is supposed to be the more liberal coast! I suppose prejudices follow us everywhere and we too find ourselves discovering prejudices of our own as we experience those that belong to others.

Nevertheless, those that ask why I’m here and reply with, “Oh,” a look of utter shock, or a polite, “I see,” simply remind me that struggles and differences are everywhere. Yet, in the midst of it all there are always those that respond with: “Good for you!” or “That’s awesome!” or “Great, I’ll be praying for you.”

Aside from my ministerial call-related experiences I am also discovering that the term: “Clean,” has many different definitions. As many of you know, I am a bit of a neat freak (I know, understatement of the century). Along our journey we have experienced places that were, well, not quite up to my expectations, those that were close enough, and those that were nearly perfect! Likewise, our apartment search produced the same selection. Hopefully, barring anything unusual, we will have the keys to one of the “close enough” properties tomorrow! More details, and pictures, to come at that time.

Now, on to the reason we came on this crazy, memory-making, stress-producing journey in the first place: Talbot School of Theology. Upon our arrival Friday August 6 Chris and I took a self-given tour of the campus and just walked around a bit. I also scheduled an “official” tour for Wednesday August 11 with the PhD department administrative assistant, Tanya Wheeldon.

Yesterday, we drove the 10 or so minutes from our Extended Stay and took an “official” tour with Tanya. She was extremely helpful and we discovered there was more to the campus than we initially anticipated. I also had a chance to grace the Financial Aid office and was surprised to discover that things were easily ironed out and my tuition is now fully financed via a scholarship, grant, and student loans--YAY! There are kind, helpful, God-fearing people that work in Financial Aid Departments, imagine that!

To conclude this crazy week . . . We have ordered a fridge, bookshelf/desk unit, and pull-out sofa. Thankfully, familiar places to shop followed us across the country as well: Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, JCPenny, IKEA, etc. So, with all that in mind, make plans to come visit us soon! We would love to see some familiar faces and show you around Southern California (or at least the part we have discovered)!

--Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment